Add ability to restrict server IO/CPU resource usage

Jim Bob shared this idea 3 years ago
Completed

In the old JetBackup version 4, there was the ability to restrict CPU and IO disk usage by using "renice" and "ionice" and "assign to cloudlinux LVE" (if using cloudlinux).

I would like these features added back to JetBackup 5, so that we can restrict disk and cpu resource usage during backups.

Thanks.

Best Answer
photo

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your continued patience!

We are excited to announce the release of JetBackup v5.2.0 on the EDGE Tier! This release includes the new Resource Settings Section. In this section, you may set CPU Usage limits and IO Read/Write Limits using cgroups, a Linux kernel feature that limits, accounts for, isolates the resource usage of a collection of processes (jetbackupd).

760206c411d2e62a9d383dca21d0cfc3

Please note that 100% is 1 core and each setting will be `unlimited` by default.

If you have any questions regarding this feature, please reach out to our support team at support@jetapps.com or open a post on our forums at https://forum.jetbackup.com/.

Thank you,

The JetApps Team

Replies (5)

photo

Hello Jim,

Thank you for leaving your feedback and opening a feature request. We will be reviewing your request and provide updates accordingly. Please note that we utilize the voting system to gauge demand for new features. The more votes a request has, the more likely it will be up for consideration by our developers.

Thank you,

The JetApps Team

photo

Hi JetBackup Team,

such resource limitation is very important. Version 5 sometimes uses up to 60% of our servers during the day, which partially affected the loading times of our customer pages.Due to the limitation in version 4, such a thing could not happen. There was never any performance impact from the backup.That was one of the main reasons why we use JetBackup, because the cPanel original backup did not support any performance limitation at the time.

photo

Hello Marcus,

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to note that JetBackup 5 is built on a brand new JetBackup Core and Structure which caused JetBackup 5 to not include all original features found on JetBackup 4. Benefits of this new JetBackup Core and Structure include:

• Flexibility to support multiple panels and operating systems, and be platform-agnostic
  • More granular control over backups and restores.
  • Ability to restore your account across multiple platforms and control panels.
  • and more

If you are noticing a high load, we recommend adjusting the Concurrent Restore/Donwload/Backup Tasks found in the Performance Settings. These tasks are new in JetBackup 5 and open new forks that can run in parallel but each task/fork open can utilize up to 100% CPU usage per core. Lowering these settings may help any high load you have been experiencing.

Thank you again for your continued support of JetBackup 5!

The JetApps Team.

photo
photo

We need this too because JetBackup5 used 30 CPUs out of 32 CPUs on one of our servers. The only way I can avoid this - before it is fixed - is by reducing the amount of concurrent backup jobs. It could be much better with a CPU limit at 80% or what ever is optimal for that server :-)

photo

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your continued patience!

We are excited to announce the release of JetBackup v5.2.0 on the EDGE Tier! This release includes the new Resource Settings Section. In this section, you may set CPU Usage limits and IO Read/Write Limits using cgroups, a Linux kernel feature that limits, accounts for, isolates the resource usage of a collection of processes (jetbackupd).

760206c411d2e62a9d383dca21d0cfc3

Please note that 100% is 1 core and each setting will be `unlimited` by default.

If you have any questions regarding this feature, please reach out to our support team at support@jetapps.com or open a post on our forums at https://forum.jetbackup.com/.

Thank you,

The JetApps Team

photo

Thank you :-)

It was a step in the right direction, but it was not precisely what I as asking for as we are still having both overloads and inefficient use of the CPUs in version 5.2 Edge.

I was asking for a limit with a percentage of the total server load and not a limit of CPUs.

Let me give you an example.

This (early) morning the server overloaded for a few minutes as JB5 was set to use 10 dedicated CPUs out of 32 dedicated CPUs, but another software on the server did some loading also so they together used up 32 CPUs.

And in other situations, JB5 can easily take 25 CPUs because the server is idle as most users are in their beds and there is no other software running on the server that is doing any real loading.

So, what I was asking for going back in this thread was an option to define that JB5 had to stay below for example 80% of the total server load.

This will make better use of the CPUs and there is no risk of overloading. And this is done without having to change the limit for the concurrent tasks.

Thank you :-)

Leave a Comment

Attach a file