Immutable (WORN) backups on AWS S3 with Object Lock

Gianluca Pinoci shared this idea 3 years ago
Planned

Hi,

due to ever-increasing concerns about security, immutable backups have become a requirement of some agencies we work for.

I'm not sure how hard it'd be to drop this feature into the current JetBackup 5 - and if previous backups are ever modified on disk - but I'm sure it's a feature many will be asking for in the near future and would greatly benefit this tool.

Essentially, backups would be locked on S3 buckets (with Versioning and Object Lock enabled) for the duration of the retention policy. After that time the backups would become unlocked and JetBackup would delete them. Ideally, this would be compatible with incremental backups.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Regards,

Luca

Replies (6)

photo

Hello,

Thank you for opening your feature request and sharing your idea with us! We will review your request and provide updates accordingly. Please note that we utilize the voting system to gauge demand for new features. The more votes a request has, the more likely it will be up for consideration by our developers.

Thank you,

Richard, JetApps Team.

photo

We need this too :-)

photo

Hello Jens,

Thank you for opening a new feature request. May you please verify if the following Feature Request - Immutable (WORN) backups on AWS S3 with Object Lock - covers the same feature you are currently requesting. In order to avoid confusion and to ensure the maximum number of votes for this feature, we would like to merge the two Feature Requests if they are similar.

With that said, our developers will review your request and provide updates accordingly.

Thank you,

JetApps Team

photo

Some of it is the same. You can merge our to suggestions if possible.

I have now added mine as a comment to the mentioned link :-)

photo
photo

Adding to this:

Both Wasabi and BackBlaze (and properly many more) have support for anti-ransomware by locking backups up until a unlock date in the future. The unlock date is predefined when doing the backup and this is safeguarding from ransomware events.

Incremental backup can never support lockups (or whatever you want to call it) but complete backups can but JetBackup 5 is not yet supporting it.

So, a hacker can actually set the "keep number of copies" to 0 and do a new backup of their hacked (encrypted) files and the company owner can do nothing about it as there are no older backups to restore from as the hacker via JetBackup has deleted them this way.

I have been talking with the developers about this issue some months ago but I again got an enquiry from a client and I am now making it a feature request here.

We are solving it for now by having a NAS that is offline except when we do a manuel backup. This is an extra backup besides the online backups we do to Wasabi and BackBlaze each night.

photo

photo

Hello everyone,

Thank you for reaching out and creating this feature request. We are pleased to let you know the immutable retained backups are now planned for JetBackup 5. We will keep this request updated when the feature is completed and available.

Thank you,

The JetApps Team

Leave a Comment

Attach a file