Option to pause running backup / restore jobs

Jens Kirk shared this idea 2 years ago
Under Consideration

Can this be possible in a future version?

Replies (3)

photo

Hello Jens,

Thank you for leaving your feedback and opening a feature request. We will review your request and provide updates accordingly. Please note that we use the voting system to gauge demand for additional features. The more votes a request has, the more likely it will be up for consideration by our developers.

Thank you,

The JetApps Team

photo

Hello Jens,

Thank you for your continued patience. We have spoken with the developers and would like to clarify a few points. Are you looking to pause individual tasks such as a Processing Backup Job, Clone Job, Restore, or Download? Since JetBackup 5 handles these tasks as forks with the jetbackup5d service, once the task begins and is "Processing", the task can only be aborted or completed, not paused.

With that being said, a "pause feature" could be used to delay the start of any "Pending" tasks in the queue. For example, you have 1 Backup Job with 15 accounts and 1 Restore in the queue all with the Pending status. the Backup Job begins its backup of 1 account while the rest remain as "Pending". You can then pause the queue which will complete the processing Account Backup for the single account but will not begin the remaining accounts nor the restore process.

If you have any more feedback or can provide any additional use cases, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you,

Richard JetApps Team

photo

Hi Richard

Are you looking to pause individual tasks such as a Processing Backup Job, Clone Job, Restore, or Download?
Yes. It is relevant in the daytime where a restore job (or backup job) is taking longer time than expexted and other things on the server is starting up and we need to have them get more CPU. We can do this by pausing the backup / restore jobs somehow without aborting them.

Backup Job begins its backup of 1 account while the rest remain as "Pending". You can then pause the queue which will complete the processing Account Backup for the single account but will not begin the remaining accounts nor the restore process.
Sounds good to me :-) It can complete the account that is was working on and then stop (be paused) until it un-paused later on where we again have more CPUs available.

This is all about not overloading the server. There is no way that I can give more CPUs or take away CPUs for a running job but by pausing the job I can protect the server from overloading :-)

photo

Hello Jens,

Thank you for the verification, I have passed this information along to our developers and they will provide further updates once available.

Thank you,

Richard, Jetapps Team

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file